Apple pie is the most popular American dessert, which is usually made during the thanksgiving. The classic recipe of apple pie with its flaky, buttery crust and the wonderful aroma of cinnamon is the perfect dessert for the casual lunch to elegant desert. Adding vanilla ice-cream on the dessert, and you got a dessert for the ages.
If you love apples then this recipe of apple pie is a must-try thing.
Read the article below for the recipe of apple pie, also there are lots of tips given below. So read the article till the end.
Recipe of Apple Pie
The recipe for apple pie is a simple recipe which consists of perfectly cooked apple filled inside the crust and surrounded with thick spiced sauces.
Basically apple pie is a fruit tart that has apples as the main ingredients. Usually, it is served with whipped cream or scoop of ice cream. The crust of the apple pie is a double layered pastry sheet which is stuffed with the half cooked apple. Before moving to the recipe for apple pie, let’s first understand what type of apples are best for the dessert.
What are the Best Apples for Apple Pie
Usually Granny Smith varieties of apples are used for an apple pie recipe. This variety is preferred because of its tart flavour and the ability of the apple to hold the shape. If you want your dessert to be sweetener then prefer to use Braeburn, Golden delicious or jonagold variety.
Try to use the mixture of different varieties at a time in the recipe for apple pie, it will make the pie more delicious. Avoid using very red apples as it will get more mushy and not stick to the base.
How do you keep the bottom of a pie from getting soggy?
Allow the bottom of the crust to heat more rapidly, if you want to avoid the bottom of the pie from getting soggy. For this, place a baking sheet in the oven while preheating and then bake your pie on the pan.
Is it better to bake a pie in a glass or metal plate?
For the recipe of apple pie, if you are baking double- crust pie then both metal and glass pie plate works well. But for the single-crust pies that are pre- baked, prefer using a metal pie plate, because it heats quickly and gives a crispy result.
How do I keep my pie filling from being watery?
Always remember that the longer the filling sits before baking, the more moisture it will release.
So if you want to prevent your pie from getting watery, make sure to have the pie crust ready before mixing the apple filling.
How to make Apple Pie – Eggless Apple pie recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Baking Time : 40-45 minutes
Total Time : 1 hour 15 minutes
Cuisine : Continental
Course : Dessert
Diet : Vegetarian
Makes. : 1 pie
Following are the ingredients used for the recipe to apple pie:
- 3 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
For the Filling
- 3 cups peeled apple cubes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder (dalchini)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp almonds, chopped
- Milk for brushing
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
Follow the instructions for the recipe to apple pie.
- To begin making an apple pie recipe, we will first make the dough for the crust.
- After making the dough, keep it aside.
- Then mix all the ingredients for the filling.
- After preparing the mixture, make the crust and bake it for sometime.
- Then add the filling and bake it again.
For the dough
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and sugar and toss well.
- Add the soft butter in the mixture, and start kneading to make a semi-soft dough using water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep it aside.
For the Apple filling
- In a bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice and toss well.
- Add sugar, cinnamon powder, raisins and almonds in the apple-lemon juice mixture.
- In a deep non-stick pan, mix well all the ingredients, cover the pan with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes.
- Stir the mixture occasionally, while mashing it a little with the back of the spatula.
- Remove the lid, cook for another 2 minutes on a medium flame, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep it aside.
How to proceed?
The complete prcedure for making the Apple Pie is given below:
- Divide the dough into 2:1 portions i.e ⅔ and ⅓ portions.
- Take the ⅔ portion and roll the dough into a circle. Keep leveling the sides by using your hands.
- Place the dough circle in the hollow cavity at the bottom of the aluminium tin, cover the bottom and the sides of the tin evenly.
- Remove the access dough.
- Put the apple filling in the centre of the dough and spread it evenly.
- Keep it aside.
- Take the remaining ⅓ portion of the dough and roll it to form a circle.
- Place the dough circle over the apple filling.
- Open it and again press the dough from the sides and the bottom of the tin, to cover the filling completely.
- Seek the sides well by pressing the dough along the circumference of the pie using your thumb.
- Using a fork prick the top of the pie, at regular intervals.
- Brush the top with a little milk.
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 180°C for 35-40minutes.
- Keep the pie aside, to cool down completely.
- Then demould it.
- Cut the pie into 6-8 wedges and serve it with vanilla ice-cream or honey.
Tips for baking
- Prepare the apple filling first and keep it aside for 1 hour, it will allow the apple to release its juice. Mix the apple and the juice with thicken like cornstarch.
- Long baking, make sure that the filling inside the pie thickens.
- If your crust starts to brown too quickly or starts turning dark, mold a piece of foil paper to make a foil dome. Place the foil dome over the pie and keep it for the remaining baking time. This will help in slowering down the browning.
- Let the pie cool down before cutting it. Cooling at room temperature helps the liquid inside to thicken even more. This will help in the proper cutting and the liquid won’t pool out when you cut it.
Following are the nutritional value for the recipe of apple pie:
|Nutrition||Amount per serving||% Daily Value*|
*Percent Daily Value is based on the 2000 calorie diet.
For more information like recipes for apple pie, keep visiting the website.